Ecoalf is a Spanish company which turns plastic sea waste into high-quality fashion products.
It was founded in 2010 by Javier Goyeneche after the birth of his son, Alfredo (the ALF in Ecoalf comes from Alfredo). Javier started Ecoalf after he became increasingly frustrated with the excessive use of the world’s natural resources.
Read my interview with Javier Goyeneche: Turning Plastic Sea Waste Into Fashion
Ecoalf is a sustainable fashion brand from A to Z. The company created Sea Yarn, a new 100% recycled filament which is made of the plastic bottle collection found at the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea.
As Javier highlights in our interview, Ecoalf is not about recycling grandma’s old blanket into a backpack; it’s about innovation and design.
Mission and Vision
Ecoalf’s vision is a world where natural resources are not used in a careless way. Its mission is to create the first generation of recycled products with the same quality and design as the best non-recycled.
The company is founded on three principles: compromise, coherence and transparency. Its DNA is based on sustainability, innovation and sustainable design.
In the majority of processes, Ecoalf uses mechanical recycling – the most sustainable form of recycling.
In terms of energy consumption and CO2 emissions, the production of a recycled material thread has a much lower impact compared with conventional thread.
Here are the parameters which Ecoalf uses when determining a material’s sustainability:
- Energy consumption/CO2 emissions;
- Use of water;
- Use of the ground;
- Use of chemical products;
- Relationship with biodiversity;
- Production of solid residues.
Ecoalf’s designing team creates clothing fashion lines for women, men and children, footwear (flip-flops and sneakers) and accessories (backpack).
What recycled materials does Ecoalf use to create new products?
- Recycled plastic bottles retrieved from the ocean by fishermen;
- Recycled nylon (fabric scraps, fishing nets from the oceans and carpets);
- Recycled cotton;
- Recycled wool;
- Recycled used tires;
- Post-consumer coffee grounds.
Here are the results of Ecoalf’s innovative recycling process:
- More than 80 million tonnes of plastic bottles recycled so far;
- 135 grams of discarded fishing nets = 1 meter of Ecoalf fabric;
- 1 Ecoalf t-shirt made from recycled cotton saves 2500 litres of water;
- Recycling nets means 27% less consumption of natural resources and a 28% reduction of greenhouse gases emissions;
- Every 1000 kg of Ecoalf fabric reduces the equivalent CO2 emissions of a car driving 9800 km;
- Production of 1000 kg of fabric saves the equivalent of 955 kg of crude oil;
- It took 2 years of research and development to come up with an innovative process by which to turn used tyres into flip-flops as tyres contain metals, antioxidants and fabric pieces.
Ecoalf believes in creation through transformation. The company partnered with major brands that share the same commitment to the Zero Waste philosophy.
Here are some of them:
Starbucks partnered with Ecoalf to create exclusive products made with recycled coffee grounds.
Ecoalf developed an exclusive collection made with 100% recycled fabrics to dress Swatch employees. The company used 40.807 recycled plastic bottles and post-consumer cotton which saved over 30 million litres of water.
will-i-am and Coca-Cola
Ecoalf joined will-i-am and Coca-Cola to launch an exclusive and limited collection of Ekocycle garments made with Ecoalf fabrics at Harrods.
The Spanish company and the famous actress successfully designed a vest and backpack.
Ecoalf designed for Apple a special collection of stylish and eco-conscious accessories.
Awards and Recognition
Ecoalf has received numerous awards and accolades in recognition of its amazing work. Here are some of them:
Recognized by PETA
Ecoalf received the PETA Award for its 100% VEGAN Collection FELDER FELDER.
A Certified B Corporation®
Ecoalf is the first fashion brand in Spain to become a Certified B Corporation. There are 2,441 Certified B Corporations in the world with 1 unifying goal – to redefine success in business. B Corporations inspire all businesses to compete not only to be the best in the world but be the best for the world.
El Confidencial-KPMG Award for the best Initiatives in Eco-efficiency.
Land Rover Award in the category of “Technology and innovation”.
Join the Conversation
We’d love to hear what you have to say.